OK, so I’ve told you have entered the mad mad world of women over 40 who decide to do some crazy exercise event (usually a marathon, but I HATE running), in my case a 200km bike ride. But at least if you are running, all you need is legs and shoes. I have discovered with doing a bike ride, whilst you can do it sitting down, some equipment is required…
I have done 2 training rides and so far I have bought:
- gel padded knickers (and yet to receive them in the mail)
- gel bike seat
Are you seeing a theme here?
I have discovered there is much more to be bought:
- gel padded bike pants (several pairs)
- sports socks (‘cos my husband gets cross at me for wearing his)
- foot strap thingies (apparently makes riding easier)
- drink bottle back pack thingy
- mini super duper bike pump
- little ‘bum’ bag for a bike (not for me) to put phone and coffee money in
I also have the small issue of a bike. I have a gorgeous bike that I call the yellow beauty, from Reid Cycles (can be seen here –Yellow Beauty). I love it. I feel like The Queen riding it. It is not made for a 200km ride! So I have been using my 1 year old son’s mountain bike (also from Reid Cycles) with a gel seat attached. It is a hard slog I tell you. I have been told that I need a road bike, though they aren’t very pretty. I wonder if I could get one with a basket on the front?
My other challenge is that I have to raise $2,500 just to participate, and it would be sad if I did all this training and then could actually do the ride! I have raised $125 (thank you to some very generous friends). Would anyone else like to donate to a very very very worthy cause – Cancer research? If so, click here.
How about a pic to brighten your day?